Not everyone is trying to be a bodybuilder, but we should all be getting in a bit of exercise on a regular basis to maintain good health. If you’re looking to create a fitness regimen that works for you, you may want to consider finding a pleasant route along which to take walks. Here are five amazing benefits of walking.
- Walking gets your heart rate up. If you want to stay healthy, without having to open an expensive gym membership at Fitness 19, or hit the machines on a regular basis, then it’s important that you make a habit of walking on a regular basis. Walking is a great and relaxing way to get your heart rate up, so that can keep your heart strong and active. Just getting the blood circulating is important for the proper functioning of all your organs and limbs.
- Walking helps to keep all of your joints well lubricated. When you go for a walk, you’re putting all of your joints into motion. Even though your arms aren’t really doing much work, just the act of swinging back and forth gets the synovial fluid pumping through the joints, which is important for preventing or reducing the severity of arthritis. If you start to notice that your joints are feeling a bit stiff, it’s probably a good sign that you would benefit from a 20-30 minute walk.
- Walking allows you to interact with the world around you. Do you ever feel like you’ve been indoors so long that it’s hard to really measure the time passing? When we spend all day working inside, it can be very easy to not notice the changing world around us. That’s why it’s important to give yourself a little break each day to go for a walk and literally smell the roses. You want to feel as though you are connected with your surroundings, and not just through your windshield or office window.
- Walking helps to flush toxins. Let’s face it, between the food you eat, the polluted air you breathe, and the alcohol or caffeine that you may consume, there are a lot of toxins that your body is taking in. If you don’t find a way to flush those toxins, they will wreak havoc on your organs, your respiratory system, and even your emotions. However, one of the easiest ways to flush those toxins is by taking walks regularly. As you work up a sweat, those toxins will be working their way out, and as a thank you, your body and brain will reward you by feeling great.
- Walking is a great way to burn calories. Of course, if you’re trying to lose a lot of weight, you are going to need to set some fitness goals beyond just walking. Although, for those of us who are just trying to maintain our current figure, taking a walk after a large meal is a great way to burn off a lot of those excess calories so that you don’t have to feel guilty after treating yourself. The bigger and richer your meal, the longer and steeper your walk should be.